Friday, December 14, 2012

End of the Class Reflection

This class has been quite an experience for me.  I consider myself quite tech-savvy already, but this can become a curse.  When you already consider yourself quite proficient in something, you tend to not take the time to improve and expand your knowledge and skills in that area.  This is the rut I find myself in often when it comes to technology.  Classes like this force me to expand my horizons and explore new tools and resources that are available.  Many of the topics we discussed in our class I had been exposed to before this class, however working through the assignments for this class forced me to challenge and push myself to find effective ways to use each of these concepts in the classroom.  It is easy to learn about something on a conceptual level, but to force oneself to find a practical application can sometimes be difficult.  Because of this and a very busy schedule over the last few months, this class was quite a challenge for me.  However, reaching the end of it and thinking back on everything I learned and created, I feel very accomplished and that I have learned a lot.  At the start of the term, I had set three goals for myself throughout the class.  Some I was able to accomplish throughout the course of the term.  Some of them are still a work in progress.  Here are the three goals I set.

1.  To find a way to use technology resources in my math class.
This goal I made a very conscious effort to accomplish, and I did.  Every chance I got, I tried to apply the topics we were covering to my math class and was able to get several strong math lessons using technology out of it.

2.  Utilize active learning more in my math classes.
Going through this course has forced me to think outside my box and look more at active learning.  Many of the topics in this course forced me to look at ways to look at my classroom in a different way, and I am leaving with some great ideas I can implement in my classroom.

3.  Establish a technology-centered way for students to present their book report in my literature class.
With so much focus going toward improving my use of technology in my math classes, this is one of my goals that didn't quite get as far along as I would have liked.  I did find a good mind mapping program that would work for students to present their book report.  I hadn't thought of it in the context of a book report when I found it, however it would be quite effective in that capacity.

Overall, this course has been a positive experience for me where I have learned many things that I will be able to apply to my classroom immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment